Friday, January 4, 2008

Top 10 of 2007

There were many great albums this year, here are 10 that got alot of plays in the car and so on, and some reasons why i loved them. *this seems to be the year of Hydra Head & Robotic Empire

10. Jesu - Conqueror (Hyrda Head)
Photobucket
So this wasn't on my first draft I made, but in the last few weeks of the year I just couldn't stop listening to it. It isn't the complete droning of "Jesu" or the overly uptempo songs of "Silver" it lays somewhere in between. I also love how some of the notes just hang in the air for what seems like forever.

09. Ghastly City Sleep - Ghastly City Sleep (Robotic Empire)
Photobucket
This is an album I can't really pinpoint why I like it so much, it just makes me feel good while listening to it, it flows amazingly. Also this might be what Talk Talk would of sounded like if they were a hardcore/screamo (REAL SCREAMO NOT THIS TRENDY SHIT THAT GETS THE TAG THESE DAYS) instead of new wave/romantic band before doing their experimental stuff.

08. Oxbow - The Narcotic Story (Hyrda Head)
Photobucket
This album sucks you in some beautiful moments, then just beats the fuck out of you when you're not expecting it, OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

07. The Austerity Program - Black Madonna (Hyrda Head)
Photobucket
Honestly before even hearing a note from this band, there was this video and I decided I will buy this album when it comes out and it will be one of the best albums of the year, AND IT WAS!


06. Pygmy Lush - Bitter River (Robotic Empire)
Photobucket
I can't lie I love PG99, this is completely different when they dirge they dirge! seeing them live was great, you can just close yours eyes and sway back and forward, or tap your feet or all the above. dirges never made you feel so good before this.

05. Crippled Black Phoenix - A Love of Shared Disasters (Invada)
Photobucket
Again another album of dirges or as they would like to call them "End Time Ballads", there was something about this album from the first listen that seemed familiar like I've been listening to it for years, I like albums that make me feel like that, this will be around for a very long time.

04. Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters (Southern Lord)
Photobucket
This is everything black metal isnt' supposed to be, WARM with layers upon layers of guitars and analog synths, that give it an almost shoegaze feeling, yeah the band probably hates when people say that, but its fucking there. also the female vocals on track three are honestly some of the most beautiful vocals i've ever heard, then some thunder and blast back into the metal. It also made me feel like i could play metal again with it simplicity.

03. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (Merge)
Photobucket
I WILL ADMIT I GOT PULLED INTO THE HYPE OF THIS ALBUM! I will also admit that I was completely disappointed with it, it was nothing compared to "Funeral" but a few months later I realized i needed to look past the hype and the fact that they need to move on and realized they are some of their best songs the band has written yet!

02. Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb (Relapse)
Photobucket
If WITTR made me feel like I could play metal again, this album tore me right down to size again. EVERYTHING about this album out does anything else pig destroyer has ever done, the production is better thicker all around, the drumming has gotten faster and more intricate, the riffs oh man! the songs as whole are alot more memorable than just the pure brutality of the past.

01. Low - Drums & Guns (Sub Pop)
Photobucket
I knew this album would be one of my favorites of the year, LAST YEAR when I saw them open their holiday concert with 4 songs off this album, they just keep tweaking the formula. again these songs like PxD make feel like they are more memorable.

2 comments:

Fiend? said...

What about:

Baroness - Red Album
High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
µ-Ziq- Duntisbourne Abbots Soulmate Devastation Technique
Whitehouse - Racket
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Boris & Merzbow - Rock Dream

???

inmemoryofthom said...

in response to you daav (ps sorry it took so long)

Baroness - Red Album
I bought it listened to it once than a few months later i tried putting it in while driving to PA it doesn't live up to the hype everyone gave it, i ultimitely turned it off because it bored me.

High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
good album but definitely not in my top 10

µ-Ziq- Duntisbourne Abbots Soulmate
Devastation Technique
Whitehouse - Racket
Don't listen to any of these bands/artists so again wouldnt be in my top 10

Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
same thing as with Baroness, Feels was way better

Boris & Merzbow - Rock Dream
Doesn't count to me because it consisted of older songs so its not really a new album.

???